Thursday, August 26, 2010

Generally speaking, I think it's a little tacky to blog about the job market. It's there, it sucks, we're all on it, unconscionable hours have been spent reducing our life's research to five-hundred-word blurbs, etc., etc.

But ever since last year I've have an unaccountable fondness for job market playlists. Somehow they never stop being funny.

Aretha Franklin's "Respect" is a classic, of course.



Philip Nel suggests Bicycle's "Electrolux": "Suck it up/ enhance production":



Barbara Hui suggests "Eye of the Tiger":



What's on yours?

//

Late addition:

Scott Selisker recommends Talking Heads's "Cities" ("find a city, find myself a city to live in"):

6 comments:

Philip Nel said...

Because I am music-obsessed, your Twitter query inspired me to make a "Get a Job" playlist. Here it is:

Respect - Aretha Franklin (1967)
Look At Me (I'm a Winner)! - The Aquabats (2005)
The Jeffersons (Movin' On Up) - Ja'net DuBois & Oren Waters (1975)
All Star - Smash Mouth (1999)
Shining Star - Earth, Wind & Fire (1975)
Where You Come From - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (2000)
Plea from a Cat Named Virtue - The Weakerthans (2003)
Electrolux - Bicycle (1999)
It's Alright, Baby - Komeda (1998)
Finest Worksong (Mutual Drum Horn Mix) - R.E.M. (1987)
Worker's Song - Dropkick Murphys (2003)
I Believe I Can Fly - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (2003)
Verb: That's What's Happening - Zachary Sanders (1974)
You Can Make a Difference If You Try, Try, Try - The Happiest Guys In The World (2002)
Don't Give Up - Noisettes (2007)
Participation Prerequisite - DJ Format featuring Abdominal (2005)
Float On - Modest Mouse (2004)
Pressure Drop - The Specials (1996)
I Should Be Allowed to Think - They Might Be Giants (1994)
Hanging Upside Down - David Byrne (1992)
Pick Yourself Up - Fred Astaire (1936)
Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again) - Wilco (1999)
Wakey Wakey Outro - Toy Dolls (2002)

Natalia said...

I ... I'm in awe.

Philip Nel said...

Yeah, I'm kinda OCD about mixes & playlists. Anyway, I think all of those songs are commercially available. If any aren't & you're assembling a mix, drop me a line.

Natalia said...

Ahahaha. A mix?

Miriam said...

Personally, I need the ego boost most when the rejections start rolling in.

Thus:

Flight of the Conchords, "I Got Hurt Feelings"

(Not that you'll need it.)

Natalia said...

Heh. Let's face it; statistically, we are all going to be getting a lot of rejections. Ask me about my art installation.